Lower back pain is a leading cause of disability in the U.S., with many people in Palm Bay and Sebastian, Florida, experiencing this very condition. Sports Chiropractic Health is here to help you manage your lower back pain, sciatica, spinal compression, and other spinal conditions safely and effectively.
Common Causes of Lower Back Pain
There are many potential causes of lower back pain, which is one of the reasons why it is so common. The following are a few common reasons for low back pain, though the list is far from exhaustive.
- Spinal irregularities and congenital issues such as spina bifida or scoliosis.
- Sprains, strains, and back spasms.
- Occupational injuries. Sometimes, lower back pain is the result of occupational hazards, including spending excessive amounts of time sitting in chairs without adequate back support.
- Traumatic injuries, such as those experienced in auto accidents, sports injuries, falls, etc.
- Degenerative issues such as disc degeneration, inflammatory diseases, etc.
- Spinal cord and nerve problems, like spinal compression and sciatica.
- Osteoporosis, spondylolisthesis, or ruptured discs.
Of course, there are also non-spinal issues that can cause low back pain as well. They include things like pregnancy, kidney stones, and various other illnesses. If you’re looking for a "chiropractor near me," look for one that offers spinal decompression therapy, like Sports Chiropractic Health.
Risk Factors for Low Back Pain
There are many things that can contribute to your risk of developing low back pain problems. Having any of the following risk factors does not mean that you're certain to develop lower back pain, they're just indications that you are at increased risk for it. They include:
- Age. Individuals are generally between the age of 30 and 50 when back pain first presents. The risks increase with age afterward. It should be noted that we’re beginning to see increased instances of lower back pain among school-aged children, often from carrying overstuffed backpacks.
- Activity levels. People who are more active and fit generally experience fewer instances of lower back pain.
- Obesity. The extra pounds you carry around place additional strain on your spine, causing lower back pain.
- Smoking. A common culprit for many conditions, smoking also restricts the flow of oxygenated blood to your discs leading to faster disc degeneration.
The bottom line is: people of all ages and all professions can experience lower back pain. If you are in Palm Bay of Sebastian and in need of spinal decompression or other chiropractic services, Sports Chiropractic Health is happy to serve your pain relief and management needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.