Our Palm Bay Chiropractor Answers Your Sports Injury Questions
If you live near Palm Bay and Sebastian, FL, and enjoy staying active, we encourage you to get to know our chiropractic team at Sports Chiropractic, Health and Rehab. Led by Dr. Jason Comerford, our staff knows how important daily exercise is to overall well-being, and we're committed to using natural services to help you stay healthy and avoid sports injury. We field a lot of questions about sports injury and are happy to keep our community informed!
What Are Common Types of Sports Injury?
Sports injury can usually be classified as either acute or chronic. Common ones we see among our patients include:
- Muscle strains
- Ligament sprains
- Plantar fasciitis
- Tendonitis (like impingement syndrome at the shoulder or Achilles tendonitis in the lower leg)
- Medial or lateral epicondylitis (golfer's elbow or tennis elbow)
- Medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints)
- Runner's knee, which may include chondromalacia patella (inflammation beneath the knee cap), misalignment between the patella and femur, and iliotibial band syndrome
- Sciatica and other types of nerve compression syndrome
- Whiplash or post-concussion syndrome
Why Do Sports Injuries Happen?
Sports that involve high impact or repetitive movements, like football, running, soccer, tennis, and swimming, may put you at greater risk for certain types of sports injury. An athlete of any age and ability may sustain an injury playing the sport they love. Additional risk factors can include:
- Poor training (over-training or under-training)
- Poor nutrition, sleep, and hydration
- Type of equipment or running surface
- Stumbles, collisions, and falls
- Repetitive movement, especially if done with poor technique
- Postural imbalances
What Are the Symptoms of a Sports Injury?
An acute sports injury can present with pain, redness, swelling, tenderness, warmth, and stiffness. Chronic sports injuries may cause more nagging pain that may even wake you up at night. You may also notice weakness, spasms, or reduced range of motion.
How Can a Chiropractor Provide Sports Injury Treatment?
Our Palm Bay Chiropractor provides sports injury treatment and prevention through completely natural and drug-free techniques, including:
- Spinal adjustments: kick-start healing by realigning your spine and triggering natural pain relief
- Corrective exercises: custom-prescribed for tissue healing, decreased swelling and spasms, and improved strength, endurance, and mobility
- Massage therapy: accelerate healing and reduce swelling by increasing blood flow and oxygenation
Benched by a Sports Injury?
Contact Sports Chiropractic, Health and Rehab at (321)-586-7145 to schedule an appointment with Palm Bay chiropractor Dr. Comerford. Let us help you get back in the game!